Image Map

Friday, October 7, 2011

Kahlua Cake and Great Friends!

I made this last weekend for a reunion of the friends whom I drove buses with in college.  After 25 years, we finally organized a reunion in Davis, replete with driving the London double deck!  Even after 25 years, you just get that instant "feel" of the steering wheel and the bus underneath you.  Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day with amazing friends!   

My friend, Diane, gave me this recipe.  She is married to one of my bus buddies, Tim.  When she sent it, she said she had it when she was 21...Okay, so that's way more than 20 years ago...Wow, such will power! 

It was AMAZINGLY moist and very chocolaty.  I used the 63% cacao chips which gave it a rich flavor, but not too sweet.  I don't care for dark chocolate on its own, but it is becoming my favorite baking chocolate.  Even "semi-sweet" chips are getting "too" sweet for me.  I guess that means my taste buds are still evolving.

It's what is called a "dump cake."  Technical term (!) for putting everything in the bowl all at once and mixing just until it comes together.  That's what I did.  Then I added the chips.  Poured the batter into a Bundt pan with cooking spray.  Easy.  













Came out like a dream...Cooled and dusted with confectioner's sugar and we were good to go!  Easy.

I'm sharing this over at Cake of the Week's Baking with Spirit Challenge for January 2014: Frugal.  Hop on over to Cake of the Week for even MORE boozy creations!






Diane's Kahlua Cake
one package chocolate cake mix
one pint sour cream
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup Kahlua
12 oz chocolate chips (use the dark chocolate variety)

Blend all together and place in greased/floured (I used cooking spray) Bundt pan--bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Voile!

Got a lot of great reviews on this one.  A keeper.  Thanks, Diane!!!
  
P.S. Soooo glad that Tim actually could make it after all...But, where were you, my dear? 

Yes, I actually drove the bus after this shot!  As you can see,
I was pretty damn happy to be in that cab...Damn happy.


This was my favorite conductor position...Got in some trouble for this back in the day, especially on a sharp right turn at 25 mph!   My need for speed...
Unitrans Reunion, Oct 2011 (we had a few folks who left before this shot). 
See you at Picnic Day 2012!!!! 
Print Friendly and PDF

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...